Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Game of Chance

Pub Games. Poker night. Softball practice. Studying code.

Some obvious connections, some obscure. It reminds me of a sensation I used to experience in college. Jeff and I would frequent a coffee bar called the Espressery, and there we would play many games of chess. Two, three games in a sitting. After an hour of pondering the possibilities on the board (rook takes knight, bishop to guard the queen, trap that one behind the pawns), I realized that life can be regarded in a similar way (finish ThinkProgress updates tonight, leave tomorrow open for the softball playoffs, take the evening for celebrating with drinks). Steps, and the pathes they lead us down, working toward a common goal. Dominate. Succeed. Win.

I spent about an hour this evening reading old LJ posts (softball practice was canceled since we're short enough players to field BP). I read through the roughest times with a particular relish...there were days when I really thought things couldn't get worse and wouldn't get better. I'm very glad I turned out to be wrong on both counts--the depth of horrible experiences gives one breadth of character, and the salve of wonderful events teach us that there is always more than the moment.

Rereading the old posts had a secondary effect I didn't expect. It reminded me of fire. Youthful passion, some would call it--overcompensating chemicals of teen existence is as good a label. I used to be much, much more intense.

Evidenced by the fact that it's fantasy football draft time. I think I'd like to win this year. :D

0 comments: