Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sotto Voce

Finally posting as an original soul (being drunk puts you in touch with who you really wanna be). And so I write...

So I kind of wish Tropic Thunder was awesome in a contextual super-elevated sort of way, but it was much overt in its worth. (Then again, subtlety usually gets past me, so maybe this is the only way I'll enjoy a film). Robert Downey Jr. delivered a star performance as an Australian introspection that rivaled Crocodile Dundee in its inaccuracy and amusement. Jack Black was perfect in his heroin-fueled hotheadedness, and I have to say that I hate Tom Cruise and Ben Stiller a little less for their work in this flick.

Caitlin, Rick and I did poker at the Ferguson's place (Lauren and Mason--cute couple--and thar neighbors doing a little gambling). I finally won, taking a grand pot of about 35 dollars. After Burger King, that left me with $20 in winnings. I was happy.

Then we drove home, and I could not. stop. laughing. Constant hiccuping high-pitched squeaking. I have never laughed so hard (and I'm pretty sure it was over complete nonsense. Mildly ironic satiric commentary is much funnier when you're in the right place). Rick and Jeremy both had me in stitches (Caitlin, my dear and trusted wife, was good enough to drive my sorry ass home).

SPEAKING of sorry asses, we saw Tropic Thunder tonight and it was surprisingly funny. There were several scenes that just caught me off guard, and the more routine plot elements were cleverly done. Not a bad game--and I definitely recommended it to my friends.

So I need to remind all the AU crowd to use Anyvite for their party invitations in the future. It still sucks to see them using Evite on occasion, just because Evite is so awkward to work with. It's really more trouble than its worth, and I'd love to see the superior specimen win out on this one. I suppose I'll see.

Mmm...specimens, evolution, Spore and Fable II. I'm so excited for all the video games coming out soon. It promises to be an excellent fall.

So, in summation....great night, great friends, great opportunities and experiences. Good night and good luck, Seattle.

OH! New office and the fantasy football draft that I finally enjoyed...more news to follow.

0 comments: